Adding employees to your payroll in FINSYNC is easy. Note: FINSYNC uses the term "Associate" for both a W-2 and 1099 team member. FINSYNC handles both and both types of team members can be assigned to projects together.
Adding an associate is easy. Follow these steps:
1) Login to FINSYNC.
2) Click on the "Payroll" tab in the top nav.
3) Click the "Associates" button in the left nav.
4) Click the "New Associate" button on the right.
Note: If you hover the cursor over the "Payroll" tab, you can select "Associates" from the dropdown menu.
5) Requirements for adding new associates:
- Name - Legal name on Social Security card. Nicknames are not acceptable.
- Street Address - No P.O. Boxes. The IRS requires a physical location.
- City, State & Zip Code.'
- Phone Number - Optional.
- Email Address - Optional but required for employee to log time directly and download their own paystubs.
- Gender - Optional.
- Hire Date
- Employee Status - Active for new hires.
- Job Title
- Department - Optional, use this if your company has departments set up.
- Location - Optional, use this if your company has locations set up.
Note: The information above will be listed differently depending on if the employee/contractor is classed as a 1099 or W-2 employee. This variation will be seen once you have selected a "Tax Treatment."
6) By checking the box below the email address AND assuming you entered a valid email address, your associate will receive an invitation to log on and create their account, enter direct deposit information, and select deductions if applicable.
7) Once you have selected the specific "Tax Treatment," then you will be given a list of fields to fill out. The major difference in adding W2 versus 1099 employees is that for W2 employees, you will be asked to include tax information as a middle step.
8) Once you have filled out the required information, click "Continue" to move to next section. For W2 employees, the next section will be tax details. For 1099 employees, you will move directly to the Job and Pay Details page.
9) For W2 employees only, you will fill be directed to fill out the "Tax Details" page, then to the Job & Pay Details page. Note: For 1099 employees, you will go directly to the "Job & Pay Details" page.
10) In the "Job Info" section, enter the following information:
- Job Title
- Employee Status (active, inactive, on leave of absence, or terminated)
- Workers compensation class
- ACA Status (includes variable-hour and seasonal employment)
- Department within which the employee works (for your own business reporting and analytics)
- Location where the employee works (for your own business reporting and analytics)
11) Under "Pay Details," indicate whether the employee is paid at an hourly rate or by salary. For 1099 employees, an hourly rate is set by default.
12a) If hourly, enter the Regular Rate per hour. If an employee is guaranteed a set number of hours per pay period, you may enter that amount in "Standard Hours Worked." The "Standard Hours Worked" amount will be added to the associate's time-sheet automatically as planned hours (as opposed to daily time-tracking).
Note: if the employee is off the job and other pay such as PTO, Sick or Disability, you will need to correct the hours or they will be paid for the guaranteed hours as well as the other pay types.
12b) If salaried, you may enter the rate by year, month, week or day. Yearly is the most common, and the system will calculate the amount of pay per pay cycle by your pay frequency.
13) Custom rates may be created for special circumstances such as Double Pay for holidays. It is not necessary to create a rate for Overtime. The system will automatically pay time and a half when Overtime is entered.
14) Under Direct Deposit at the bottom, if the employee has already given their banking information, it can be entered once you check the box. If not, do not check the box to pay by Direct Deposit.
15) Click "Save" at the bottom.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Payroll Service: Overview
- Payroll: How To Set Up
- Payroll: How to Use Reports
- Administrative Users: How to Add
- Payees/Vendors: How to Add and Edit
- Customers: How to Create
For more articles related to the FINSYNC Payroll service (Click Here)
For the complete list of articles, return to the FINSYNC How-To Guide: (Click Here)