Creating projects in FINSYNC is a great way to find out how much money you made for a particular job, case, engagement, build, installation, etc. Projects are just a catch all for a series of tasks and expenses with a defined beginning and end. Visit Projects: Overview to learn more.
Setting up a project with task-based billing is easy. Follow these steps:
1) Login to FINSYNC.
2) Click the "Projects" tab in the top nav.
3) Click "New Project."
Note: If you hover the cursor over the "Projects" tab, you can select "Projects" from the dropdown menu.
4) Name your project, choose the customer (or add a new one), set a due date if desired. You may wish to use an address for the project name if this is a build or installation. Do not change "Copy phases and tasks from" menu. This tool will be useful after you have created multiple projects that are in the standard formats used by your business.
5) If you want to use a budget, follow the Project Budget instructions. Otherwise, choose "Save & view project."
6) Set up a phase. Note: Phases help you group tasks for billing purposes (Learn More). If you do not have multiple groups, you'll just need to set up one phase. Click "Create the first phase."
7) Choose the name for the project phase, and leave "Billing Options" set to "Set rates at the task level." Set a due date if desired and click "Add Phase." You now have a phase (or project if this is single phase) to which you can assign tasks (time), expenses and purchase orders.
8) Now you need to add "Tasks." Tasks are what your team members are assigned to do (Learn More). Click "Create the first task."
9) Give the first task a name. This is what your team member will see when they log in to the Associate's Portal to track time.
10) Your phase will already be selected because you only have one.
11) Select the way you want to bill this task. You can choose hourly, fixed or not to bill for this task. For this example, we will choose "Invoice customer an hourly rate."
Note: When your team members track time to an unbilled task, they will increase the cost to your of delivering the project, but will not increase your profit.
12) Choose a service from your service catalog and the default price will populate the "Hourly rate" field. Note: You can override the price without editing the service catalog item permanently.
13) Assign a due date if desired.
14) Click the "Assigned Associates" tab if you want to immediately send the task to an associate, follow the next steps. Otherwise, you can click "Add Task" and you will be finished.
15) Choose your team members that should be able to work on this task. Note: Once a team member is chosen, they will see the task in the associate's portal.
16) Choose a "Department" and "Location" if desired. These "Attributes" will be useful for your business analytics and reporting.
17) Click "Add Task."
Now you have completed a simple project set up. You can add additional phases and tasks if desired by following the same steps mentioned above.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Projects: Overview
- Projects: Create with Fixed Rate Billing
- Projects: How to Activate & Deactivate
- Project Profitability: How to Track
- Project Budgets: How to Set
For more articles related to Projects, Phases, Tasks, etc. (Click Here)
For the complete list of articles, return to the FINSYNC How-To Guide: (Click Here)